Thursday 5 February 2015

Trust the Process

Searching through some files today, I discovered I started working on my novel in early 2010.  Which means I've been at it now five years, not the three I mentioned in an earlier post.  Five years.  Ugh!  You'll excuse me if I feel frustrated over how long this is taking. 

Then I read this in the February 2015 issue of Writer's Digest, from Tom Cooper, writer of The Marauders, in the section titled "Breaking In":

Trust the [writing] process.  It's soul-crushingly slow, but the process is slow for a reason.  Writing a decent book takes time. [p. 18].

Where was that advice in the past, when I was in despair over how much time writing my novel was taking me?  I could have used it then, as I know I'll use it many times to come, before I'm finished.  

Take heart.  If writing your novel is taking far longer than you ever thought it would, you are not alone.  Many, many writers out there, including me, are exactly in the same place you are–sitting at their desks, typing words on their keyboards, and hoping all of it will amount to something, someday. The problem is, we're just not sure when.

But, as Tom Cooper's success at publishing his book proves, it will arrive.  We just have to keep at it, have faith, and believe.

Remember, you are not alone.  And you'll get through it.

[As an aside, if you are not a subscriber to Writer's Digest, well, then I don't know what you're doing.  WD is at the top of its game since Jessica Strawser took over as editor.  Every article is more relevant to writing and publishing today than ever before.  Check it out.  You won't regret it.  Worth every penny.  Do it today.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment